A Personal Commitment to Eco-Tourism
The definition of Ecotourism adopted by Ecotourism Australia is:
Ecotourism is ecologically sustainable tourism with a primary focus on experiencing natural areas that fosters environmental and cultural understanding, appreciation and conservation
Walking Country’s Best Practices Include:
1. Our Minimal Impact Policies
- Minimal Impact Wildlife Policy
- Minimal Impact Driving Code
- Minimal Impact Wild Camping Code
- Minimal Impact and Cultural Code
- Minimal Impact Waste Code
- Recycling Policy
If you wish to read more about Walking Country’s policies above follow this link.
2. Taking our environmental responsibilities seriously
Australia possesses a diverse array of environments, some of the most delicate on the planet. More so than many other tourist destinations, our National Parks in which we operate are very fragile environments and in order to preserve our own future we need to ensure all our activities are sustainable and representative of all facets of the region including indigenous culture.
Climate Change is something that affects us all and something we need to help address if we want to continue to run a sustainable and responsible business, not to mention a future for our kids.
Walking Country has been working to minimise the impact we have on our beautiful and delicate Central Australian desert environment since our inception.
As part of this we have implemented an Environmental Management Policy seeking to minimize the impact we have on the incredible landscapes we travel through. You can read more here.
3. Other Initiatives
What Walking Country is Doing to Clean Up it’s Own Backyard
We are constantly reviewing operational procedures seeking further reduction of our Carbon Footprint such as:
- recycling office paper
- using recycled materials in the building and maintenance of campsites where appropriate
- re-vegetating campsites at regular intervals to minimise visitor impact on areas
- using non-plastic tour crockery – cups/plates, etc
- Using water barrels instead of bottled water and encouraging our customers to bring a reusable bottle with them